HD 85512 b is a super earth 36 light-years distance from Earth in the constellation of Vela. It is one of the most Earth-like planets ever found as it is within the hot part of the habitable zone.
- Hd85512b is 3.6 earth masses
- Orbits its star at .26 AU
- takes 54.4 days to orbit
- The planet was discovered by scientists at University of Geneva, Switzerland(1.)
- Led by Swiss astronomer Stéphane Udry of the Guaranteed Time Observations (GTO) program of High Accuracy Radial velocity Planet Searcher (HARPS), a high-precision echelle spectrograph installed on ESO's 3.6 m telescope at La Silla Observatory in Chile.(2.)
- 85512b would likely be a much more tropical planet then the earth as its effective temperature is near 24c compared to 15c for earth.
- Its larger mass would help it to hold a thicker atmosphere and may of lead to a run away green house. It's possible 85512b could be a massive Venus.