Kepler 10b is a planet that orbits the star Kepler 10, 560 light-years from our solar system in the Draco constellation. Kepler 10b is very likely a terrestrial planet as its mass is that of a super earth of near 5 earth masses.
- Mass around 5 Earth masses
- Radius around 1.4 Earth's
- Orbit 20.1 hours at .016 AU from its star
- Surface temperatures likely 1800 C. Far too hot for life.
- Kepler 10b is likely far too close to its star to support life.
- Kepler 10b most likely has a ocean of lava on its star facing side.
- Nasa yesterday revealed details of Kepler 10b, the smallest known planet outside our solar system and the first to be confirmed as ‘undoubtedly rocky’.(2)
- Any terrestrial planet over 1 Earth mass is a super Earth.